Wednesday, September 26, 2012

WIP Wednesday 9-26-12





First of all, I love you guys!! When the idea for The 100 Day Hustle popped into my head I was really nervous about putting it out there.  What if no one joined in?  One of my personal goals is to put myself out there a bit more in the quilty/blog world so I went for it.  I told my husband that if 5 people wanted to play along with me and linked up I would be ecstatic.  You guys, there are 93 wonderful lovely bloggers who are playing along! NINETY THREE!!  That's 88 more than I had hoped for!  I really appreciate all of you who joined in.  It means so much to me and I've loved reading all of your lists and finding loads of new blogs to follow :)  Now I need to start planning prizes!!

Now on to the WIP Wednesday portion of the post.  I worked on  two new projects from my Hustle list!

First up, the dreaded  t-shirt quilt.  I'm just going to be honest and say that these are not my favorite thing.  But it's a surprise for my husband's cousin and she's awesome so I'm going for it.  I decided it had to be jazzed up so all the blocks are getting framed in punchy colors and then sashed together with a dark gray print...I love it so far! Never thought I'd say that about this quilt!!  Here's a bit of the progress.

Loving how this is turning out so far!! Nice to see that what I pictured in my mind works out!
Seriously love this tshirt quilt so far :)
 
 Then last night I started on the Sparkling Cider quilt.  I got two blocks done and am very excited about this one too!  I just love hometown :)


So happy this one is going to be staying at our house :)



 I'm hoping to finish the top of the t-shirt quilt tonight and then I have to figure out how to quilt this giant (it's 92x92) - any suggestions?  What are you working on?

Linking up over at Freshly Pieced.

14 comments:

  1. Seeing your t-shirt quilt brings me back to high school when I made one for my boyfriend at the time. Yeah, I was a sewing geek already then. Congrats on the big turnout for the hustle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you're doing the frames around the shirt part for the tshirt quilt! I've been wanting to make one with all my old sorority shirts...and I just LOVE that idea! I hope you don't mind if I tuck that thought away for in the spring (because I have too much to do before the end of the year now LOL). Also, I love the text print for the background on the star block. Too pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are doing great! love those stars my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My tee shirt quilts are both tied. All of your projects are so cute and thank you for putting together The 100 Day Hustle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's a great idea. I may even join in as a late starter...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the look of the t-shirt quilt with the frames. I need to get moving on mine, but when I went to the store today to get my smashing fabric it was unexpectedly closed. I am planning on free motion quilting it when it is done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Kelsey!!! Ninety Three rockin' quilters love your idea and are here to sew, support and share!
    I have to get a post together tomorrow for progress so far, I gotta tell ya...I like the direction I'm going in and it's all because you put yourself out there!! My hat is off to you, hon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the fun borders on the t-shirt quilt! It keeps it from looking juvenile, and gives it kind of a funky edge (edge, get it? Haha.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always just quilted the t-shirt part of the quilt with large stippling (to avoid thick paint areas on the shirts) and quilted something fancier in the lattice and border. Love your colored borders on the shirts! Oh, and I posted a picture of my kaleidoscope quilt in the flicker group....can't figure out how to delete the two extra photos, though. I'm new at flicker!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Sparkling Cider pattern. I made the little one. :-) Thanks for hosting the hustle - I've already started on my list! One of the quilts on my list will be the biggest I've ever made at 60x78, so I have no advice for your quilting. I guess, just, good luck. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on putting yourself out there! I need to do that more, too, but I'm afraid of getting no response. I love the frames on your t-shirt quilt. Do you back the t-shirts with interfacing? I made one once for my niece and it was a PIA because it was all different sized blocks and all woogy. I wish I could go back and make it like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ouch! Not listed in my 100 Day Hustle is the commissioned t-shirt quilts...M biggest is 75x90, and I'm doing simple straight-line quilting through the sashing (in a grid) and then diagonal across each block. It's too heavy to do anything else, and the walking foot is a MUST! I like your blocks better than mine. I let my customers choose their sashing and they have...interesting tastes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your tshirt quilt will be a big hit! Good luck on all that quilting! :/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on the Hustle.

    uhhh, Are we supposed to work on projects that we put on our list? I guess I better get to work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!