Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Giant Granny!

A new quilty finish!  My sister-in-law was planning to get married in the spring next year so in the back of my mind I decided I'd make them a quilt as a shower gift.  Fast forward a month or so and they decided to get married this month and I was hosting the shower at my house last weekend!  I still wanted to make them a quilt but I needed to use fabrics from my stash and something that could come together relatively quick.

Ignore the feet and the dead bush!

I pulled out my Hello Pilgrim FQ bundles, tossed in a few other prints and decided to make a granny square quilt.  I used Katy's awesome strip piecing tutorial to make 64 granny blocks, pieced them together without sashing (which was a nightmare) and used the leftovers of the FQs to make a scrappy border.  This put the finished size right around 75" Square.  A quick loopy quilting session and a sunny yellow binding and we were in business.  Except that it took me forever and I  was stitching the binding on at the last minute and pulling it out of the dryer hours before the shower.  Oh and it was pouring rain all morning so this was the best picture I could snap - I promise it's awesome in person!  One day I'll make her bring it over when it's sunny so I can take some more pictures.






6 comments:

  1. It is beautiful, Kelsey! The scrappy border is great, and I'm so impressed at how fast you finished it. I'm sure your SIL loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! So awesome! A project like this would surely have taken me at least a full year! There are a lot of seams in this quilt. Lucky sister-in-law!

    ReplyDelete
  3. kelsey! this is awesome and i can't believe you put it together so fast! great work! xo i bet they loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is stunning! Lucky recipients:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, it's so pretty! Love the crinkly goodness.

    You're much better than me. Both wedding gifts I'm working on right now both have already-wed recipients. Oops. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is wonderful, but I can't believe you wanted something that would come together quickly and chose GRANNY SQUARES!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!