Monday, March 5, 2012

Bookshelf Modern Mini

I have a cousin who works for a big publishing company, and like me, loves to read.  So when I saw the tutorial for this mini over at Don't Call Me Betsy, I just knew that I had to make her one!  She's one of the few people in my personal life/family that would truly appreciate a mini quilt of books.  I'm mailing it out to her this week as a little surprise gift :) 

I followed Elizabeth's tutorial and raided my scrap basket for the book fabrics and for the selvage pieces for the titles on the spines.  I did some straight line quilting around each of the books and titles and then bound it in the same green solid as the shelf.  It finished at a nice mini 15" x 18".

This was the first time I've used selvages in a project and I really liked it!  I used to just throw them away but now I save them in a jar to use for other projects.




I'm going to enter this in the Ellison Lane Modern Mini Challenge.  Be sure to go check out everyone's entries!

Also linking up over at Sew.Happy.Geek. Manic Monday!

There are still spots available for the Charming Green Fabrics Swap! Sign up if you're interested.

11 comments:

  1. very cute! i bet she just loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thoughtful gift. I like the use of selvages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job. I made one as a mini and one as a pillow cover. I'm a bookseller and a reader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! I like how the words are like titles. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really cute and a great gift! I've never thought to save my selvages, but I might have to now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a fellow book lover, I adore this mini. Very well done and smart thinking to use those selvedges!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great Kelsey! I'm so glad you posted this - I remember seeing this project and thinking I wanted to take a go at it for my book-loving (book-obsessed!) daughter but I forgot about it until now. Of course, I also forgot to save my selvages so I'll just have to cut them off some new yardage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh I need to make some too, would be perfect for the librarians...
    Good Luck for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, I love it! That would look good on my sewing room wall, I may have to attempt one myself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Great idea to use the selvedges as book titles! Bookmarking this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!